Arlington Families for Safe Streets is a community voice for safe transportation for all. To accomplish this, we will:
- Advocate for infrastructure changes regarding Arlington’s Vision Zero program
- Advocate for policy changes relating to traffic laws and penalties at the local and state policymaker level
- Educate the general public and Arlington Public Schools community about street safety best practices for all road users
- Work cooperatively with the Arlington County Police Department and County staff to promote safe streets for all vulnerable road users
Vision Zero is a strategy to eliminate all traffic fatalities and severe injuries, while increasing safe, healthy, equitable mobility for all.
ARL FSS members are crash survivors, family members of crash fatalities and concerned citizens to bring about change on our streets.
We started ARL FSS in the fall of 2019 with several Arlington citizens to advocate that the County of Arlington instill a sense of urgency in implementing a Vision Zero plan. We developed a Web Site, a Facebook page and began a Twitter presence to broaden our base of engagement. ARL FSS hopes to expand our membership with a broad array of citizens in the Arlington community to urge the county to (a) implement Vision Zero as soon as possible (b) to provide a detailed Vision Zero plan with specific due dates and (c) to assign specific accountability as to who is responsible for the different aspects of the plan.
ARL FSS welcomes the opportunity to become a coalition partner with both the Arlington County staff as well as its Police Department regarding their respective Vision Zero plans.
For 2020 ARL FSS is focusing on:
- Educational programs to help facilitate behavioral change with the public as well as,
- Promote walking as the simplest, most cost-efficient way to improve a city’s economic and environmental viability.
- Help foster regulatory changes regarding traffic laws / penalties
- Hoping to coordinate with other groups in the region to create a broader base of constituents to advocate for change